Click the link below if you want to donate to PBJ!
Follow Me On Social Media
Smothered Baked Chicken Recipe
6 Chicken Thighs
2 Small Red Potatoes
1 Small Green Bell Pepper, chopped
1 Small Onion, chopped
2 Tbs Butter (Optional)
4 Tbs All-Purpose Flour
3 Cups Chicken Broth
1 Chicken Flavor Bouillon Cube
1 Tbs Parsley Flakes
2 Tsp Seasoning Salt or Salt
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
1 Tsp Onion Powder
1 Tsp Black Pepper
1/2 Tsp Thyme
1. Ok so what we’re going to do first is fill a big bowl up with cool water. Add 1 tbs of salt to the bowl to create a salt water solution and add your frozen chicken to the salt water. Allow the chicken to sit in the salt water solution until it unthaws. If your chicken isn’t frozen, add it to the salt water solution anyway and scrub it with the salt water solution. Many people claim salt water solution and lemon/water, vinegar/water solutions doesn’t actually clean chicken but instead spread backteria/germs. They believe the heat will kill any bacteria or germs on meat. Some folks believe that, others don’t…. I was always raised so rinse meat and clean it in some form of fashion before cooking it so that’s what I like to do.
2. While your chicken is sitting in the solution you’re going to chop your onions and peppers into small pieces and chop each of your small potatoes into pieces of 4.
3. Now we’re going to focus on the gravy for the chicken. You’re going to combine your broth and flour. So add your flour to the broth and stir it in well until it dissolves and use big tablespoons of flour. By the way, this is what we call a slurry and it’s going to thicken and turn into a gravy as it cooks.
4. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. We want our oven to preheat for at least 10 minutes before adding the chicken to the oven, and it’ll take us about 10 minutes to complete the next few steps.
5. Ok so let’s focus on the chicken now. Once it unthaws, remove the excess fat and cut off any dangling excess skin that maybe on the chicken.
6. Afterwards, season your chicken thighs with the seasonings and massage the seasonings in really well.
7. Get your baking dish and place 1 chicken flavor bouillon cube and the chopped vegetables into a baking pan or dish.
8. Add your seasoned chicken, followed by the slurry.
9. Lastly, add 1 tbs of butter. Butter is optional so if you want to go the healthier route feel free to leave it out. I think it helps the chicken brown and adds a bit of flavor to the gravy.
10. Place the chicken in the oven and bake it for 2 hours.
11. After an hour or so, stir the gravy in to make sure it thickens. The flour has a tendencies to seep down to the bottom of the baking pan, so make sure you stir the gravy in well so your gravy thickens. These are best served with egg noodles and white rice, and they’re finger licking good. Enjoy!